To Tat or Not to Tat, That Is the Question
So here's the story. Seven years ago, Joanna and I went to San Diego to run away from breast cancer. While there, we went shopping at a pirate store. We were making comments about pink and cancer and boobs and all that. Then we realized that some people might not see the humor in our conversation, so we explained to the pirate behind the counter (who was the only person there) that she had breast cancer.
The pirate told us that his friend's mom died of cancer, and that his friend had her ashes mixed into tattoo ink and now has a tattoo with her ashes in it. The pirate thought it was a nice, meaningful gesture, because now he would always have her with him.
Well, Jo and I responded politely. But later we laughed about it. It's kind of a weird, creepy thing. But we each said we would do it for each other if the opportunity arose.
So now here we are. I decided I want a small (small!) parrot on my right shoulder because how much more piratey could I be? I never wear spaghetti straps or go strapless, so nobody would see it. My biggest concern at this point would be the girls' weddings, but I'd wear a dress with some kind of sleeve.
And yet I've always hated tattoos. I think they are trashy.
So while I think I will, I'm not 100% yet. What do you think? (for the record, Don is fine with it)
5 Comments:
It wouldn't be trashy. It would be something that meant something to you. Go for it if you'd like. I promise to not start calling you Trisha or Destiny.
That is a very thoughtful promise. I shall hold you to it.
I say, “let your yay be yay.” You said you would do it, so now it would be considered an honor for you to uphold. Though if it were me, I would do it somewhere you could see it on occasion. If it is to be there for a memorial, you should see it. Maybe a very small tattoo on the inside of your wrist that you could cover with a watch? I do not think anyone would think it was trashy at all, and honestly it would be a good talking point and a way for you to share the Gospel, which would honor Joanna more than anything else. “This tattoo reminds me of my friend, Joanna. She was an amazing woman whose faith in Christ inspired everyone who ever met her. Whatever you are going through now, I believe she would want me to share with you, Jesus.”
Wonderful idea, Honormommy, although I just saw this and I did already get the tattoo in an easily covered place on my shoulder. But I have found that when I mention my summer plans and people say "Arizona in JULY?!?!", it opens a door.
That’s wonderful!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home