Monday, July 22, 2013

This Disgusts Me

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-law/ohio-pac-wants-to-buy-george-zimmerman-a-new-gun/nYx9M/

First off, I want to say the following:
- I did not follow the trial, so I do not feel I can make a judgment on the case either way
- Martin's parents insisted on a trial, and the court ruled Zimmerman not guilty.  That's the way our judicial system works - we abide by the court's decisions.
- It's a little tricky when the only living witness is the defendent.  However, prosecutors knew that going in to the case.
- I think Zimmerman is in a difficult position, because before he came to trial, he was tried in the media and declared guilty.  He is now facing threats on his life.

Also:
- I believe we should have the right to bear arms.  It is a Constitutional right which I believe is just as relevant today as it was 225 years ago. 
- I do not believe forbidding law-abiding citizens from owning guns will reduce the crime rate.

All that being said...
It should not be forgotten that a young man, for whatever reason, was shot and killed.  A life was lost, and that should never, ever be taken lightly.  To me, the idea of replacing the shooter's gun is spitting in the face of the one who died.  It is saying, in a sense, "We don't care that a young man is no longer living.  Here, have another gun so you can do it again."

I would hope that nobody who takes somebody's life, for whatever reason, would ever think lightly of it.  If someone were attacking my daughters and I shot that person to protect my girls, I hope I would never want another gun.  Justified or not, a life was taken, and that's a serious matter.

The concern I have with gun ownership is that it gives people a false sense of security and the tendency to take the law into one's own hands.  That's what happened with Zimmerman.  If he was concerned about Martin, he should have waited for the police to come rather than confronting him himself.  But he had a gun, and felt he could handle the situation.

A friend of mine recently posted that she was almost carjacked.  A "crazed man" came up to her car while she was at a stoplight and banged on her window and tried to open her door.  Thankfully her door was locked and she was able to drive away without further trouble.  But another friend commented "That's why I carry a gun."  Really?  We assume the man's motive was carjacking.  But what if it wasn't?  What if he was mentally ill?  What if his wife or child was in danger and he was trying to find somebody to help?   Shoot first and ask questions later?  How is that okay?  And what if he was trying to take her car?  It's a car!  Let him have it.  How can a car be worth taking a person's life? 

Anyways, this is rambly and soapboxy, and I don't know if there's really a point, but these are the thoughts that have been running through my head the past few days.

2 Comments:

At July 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

I agree. I also think that it's stupid for these gun people to get him a gun knowing that this will only hurt their case in the whole 2nd amendment fight thing.

 
At July 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

exactly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home