Biographies, Part III: G-J
John Glenn, astronaut - I love this man. Seriously, I now have a crush on him. He's a manly man with a thirst for adventure and a deep patriotism. He has old-fashioned values and common sense. And he's absolutely 100% devoted to his wife. I just love him.
Paul Hensler, advocate - Hensler was a Vietnam soldier who rather unwittingly got involved with a group of orphans and a couple of nuns. Probably not a guy I would like personally, but I admire the work he did.
Mike Iaconelli, bass fisherman - yes, bass fisherman. And that's just how exciting the book was. Iaconelli is arrogant and not the brightest bulb on the tree. But now I know more than I ever wanted to know about bass fishing.
Abby Johnson, pro-lifer - Johnson was the director of a Texas Planned Parenthood clinic when she suddenly changed sides and became involved in the Coalition for Life. This book was very compassionate to people on both sides of the issue, but was eye-opening to what goes on behind the scenes at Planned Parenthood.
Labels: biographies
6 Comments:
Why would you pick a book about bass fishing? Are there no other I's?
I'm glad to hear the pro-lifer was compassionate to both sides. I think compassion could go a long way. And it's interesting that so many pro-life activists are that way because they've gone through abortion themselves and deeply regret it. You'd think that'd give them credibility and more power to their words. But maybe it's just not widely enough known. Or maybe it's the fact that humans don't really wake up until it affects them personally often. :(
i picked the fishing book reluctantly, but since the point of me reading these biographies is to broaden my horizons, i figured i should pick a subject i know nothing about.
i think one of the biggest problems facing pro-lifers is that the media focuses on the few extremists out there, rather than showing us the people who are truly acting out of love. johnson showed how it was the ones who were compassionate who helped win her over (it's a really good book - "unplanned", by abby johnson).
i think another problem is that pro-lifers forget that abortion is legal, and so in the eyes of many they are doing nothing wrong. we can protest all we want (and yes, we should work for change at the legislative level), but as far as individuals go, a compassionate, personal, one-on-one approach is much more Christ-like
This comment has been removed by the author.
that's pretty much true of everything
agreed
I agree too. :) But of course, that's the harder thing.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home