Booklist 2012
Jaws (Peter Benchley) - one of the rare instances where I think the movie was better.
Forgotten God (Francis Chan) - I don't typically go for trendy books or authors, but I like Chan. This book was about how so many Christians forget or ignore the Holy Spirit, or view Him as a lesser part of the Godhead. Good, but it left me wanting more.
Great Expectations (Charles Dickens) - Dickens is so not my favorite writer. But I read it, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) - I'm only about 1/2 way through, but I like it. I see why it's Melilot's favorite book ever.
Walk Across America (Peter Jenkins) - I love America. I love its people. I love its geography and topography. I'd love to do what Jenkins did and just take off exploring the country and the people who make it great.
Profiles in Courage (John F. Kennedy) - I was surprised at how much I loved this book. It's about people in American politics who took a stand for what they believed was right, despite pressure from party members or constituents. Even though I didn't always agree with what these people stood for, I greatly admired their courage and determination to hold to their beliefs. This should be required reading for all American high school students. One of my favorite quotes from the book - The magistrate is the servant not of his own desires, not even of the people, but of his God. (John Adams)
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Muriel Spark) - oh my goodness, Miss Brodie was arrogant. I really didn't care for this book.
Labels: booklist
5 Comments:
good job on your booklist.
people quote francis chan to me like i should just know that it's him. dude, i've never read anything by him. no offense to the guy, but give me a break people. as for your thoughts on it, wanting more is a good thing.
francis chan wrote 'crazy love', which is really good. the problem with his books is that they make you go 'oh, i should do more of this or that with my life' and then the book goes back on the shelf and you go on with life as usual
that's not his fault, that's the fault of the reader (not you in particular, readers in general). as someone said, Christians don't need to learn more, they need to excercise what they know. something i'm very guilty of not doing.
people also say, 'he wrote 'crazy love,'' like that's supposed to explain all. the only time i've heard of it is when people say, 'he wrote 'crazy love.''
(i'm not getting after you, or him, just the annoyingness of popular things. i'm sure it's a very good book.)
Les Miserables is on my list to start. Thanks, Mel. :)
I've never heard of Francis Chan or his book(s). But I agree with you, I need a lot more help doing than knowing. I mean, I could always know more too, of course. But the doing is the hardest.
chelleybutton!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home