Friday, November 09, 2012

Thy Will Be Done

I don't know why, but I've always assumed this part of the Lord's Prayer was sort of a check mark of approval for God doing His will.  "God, You have my permission to do whatever You think is best, and I'll try to be okay with it."

However, Amy Grant, in her book Mosaic, shed a new perspective on this phrase.  "Thy will be done" means I want to live my life in accordance to His will.  The choices I make, the words I use, the things I do should all reflect God's will.

What is His will? 
- That all should come to repentance.  What am I doing to share the Gospel with others? 
- That we live in obedience to Him.  Am I praying for strength to resist temptation?
- That we reflect the fruit of the Spirit.  Am I being kind?  Compassionate?  Forgiving?
- That we clothe the naked, feed the hungry, visit those who are sick or in prison.  How am I treating the least of these?

2 Comments:

At November 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

a couple years ago i read through the epistles focusing on the 'so that's'; 'you have been saved so that...' 'CHRIST died for you so that...' 'GOD manifested HIMSELF in this way so that...' GOD puts HIS will right there for us.

 
At November 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i think we get to caught up in the big picture - "is it God's will that i go to africa?" maybe it is, maybe it isn't. but we lose sight of the little picture - the day to day, minute by minute things that we are to do according to His will

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home