Calling a Spade a Spade
I think by now you may have figured out that I like "Stuff Christians Like". I like the digs at prayers with musical accompaniments, side hugs, and 'loving on' people. And I have to admit, I sometimes find myself the target, which also makes me laugh.
SCL isn't all about jokes, though. Sometimes Jon Acuff includes Biblical truth, and sometimes it's convicting.
Like this example:
Christians don't like to say the word 'sin'. We use synonyms because we think that if we say 'sin' some folks will label us a traditional old school super Christian Bible belter.
Here are some words we use instead:
junk, failures, baggage, hang-ups, challenges, struggles, mistakes, issues, problems
...But when Jesus died on the cross He didn't do so because He wanted to 'shift my paradigm.' He didn't come to help me 'realize my full potential' and 'unpack my baggage.' Or 'overcome my hang-ups.'
Labels: ouch, Stuff Christians Like
4 Comments:
Chris and I once got in a "discussion" concerning the fact that we refer to our children's lack of obedience as sin (to them, no less, how dare we??). Chris finally just ended it by saying "If my children's self-esteem is damaged because of the fact they realize that they are sinners then hopefully it will make it easier for them to understand that sinners need a Savior." Sin is sin and that is why Jesus died. It is so much simpler for kids to understand that when we don't cloud it up with "nicer" descriptions.
ooh - i thought of another one: "bad habit"
"i have a bad habit of gossiping". no, that's not a habit. it's sin.
good point
I have a bad habit of sinning... ;-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home