Luke 1
I'm reading through the Gospels, and recently I came across something I've probably read a hundred times, yet hadn't thought about before. Luke 1:13 - "But the angel said to him, 'Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son...'"
Your prayer has been heard? If you know the story, you know that Elizabeth was barren. The couple was old. I doubt that "Please God, bless us with a child" was the prayer Zechariah was praying as he entered the temple that day.
I would guess it was more like this -
They married when Elizabeth was about 13. She blushed deeply when people followed their "Mazel tov!"s with wishes that they might be blessed with many children.
Age 20 - They were starting to think something was wrong. Why had they still not had a child?
Age 30 - Elizabeth sees the potter's wife yelling at her children in the market. "God, You know I would be a better mother." She sees the weaver's wife heading to the well, six children tagging behind. "Six, God? How is that fair, when I don't even have one?"
Age 35 - The prayers become more desperate.
Age 40 - They see their friends rocking grandchildren to sleep.
Age 45 - The prayers stop. They realize that God must have said no. Well, God's way is best.
And now, 20 years later, an angel says their prayers have been heard? No wonder Zechariah had trouble believing.
Sometimes God's timing makes no sense to us. But make no mistake - your prayer has been heard. And He will answer in His way, in His time.
Labels: answers to prayer, lessons from the Bible, prayer
2 Comments:
Very well put. I was always struck by that phrase for similiar reasons. God knows our hearts desires even when our lips don't speak the words.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home