Stop Praying
Yesterday I started reading the book Crazy Love, by Francis Chan. Busy gave it to me for Christmas, and I have a feeling it's going to be really challenging, in a good way (sadly, this doesn't mean I've finished Don Quixote. It means I left Don Quixote in the car, so it's been with Erma all day)
One of the first things Chan says is that we should spend less time talking to God, and more time listening to Him and being in awe of His presence. Wonderful point. My prayers are usually either quick thanks or requests throughout the day or else I'm going through my prayer checklist. I count Bible reading as my listening to God (which it is, but that's the extent of the listening I do). Even our church services are constant something - singing, praying, sermons - no quiet listening. When do I ever be still and know that He is God?
So I tried it, and this is how my thought process went -
Majesty, worship His majesty...why is that song stuck in my head? Does it count if there's a song stuck in my head?...Am I supposed to just clear my mind of everything?...Oh! I have to remember to return Susie's pan to her tomorrow...Why do I spend so much of my prayer time just going down a list? I shouldn't do that...Oops. I'm wandering. Maybe I should think about creation. Those mountains Busy and I saw coming back from San Diego were beautiful...I loved those shops in Seaport Village...We had a great time...I wonder how Busy's doing...Focus...Majesty, worship His...there I go again...I bet this is easier for guys, because they only think of one thing at once...how do they do that anyways?...
- I think it's going to take awhile for me to figure this out.
Labels: be still
3 Comments:
i've wondered that two. maybe, this is going to sound silly, we could start with doing the lotus focus on the wii fit. all you do is sit there and stare at a candle. if you wiggle it burns out. but i have noticed that it does clear my head a bit. and if we practice with that, it's at least a start.
and yes, i'm sure it's easier for guys.
hmm...i guess i could try that
I am currently learning very valuable lessons about being still and being quiet. (I was just getting good at the stillness thing when I developed mouth and throat sores.) I wish I could learn these lessons without being God having to force them at me, but what can I say? I'm a horrible sinner with a very Gracious God. I think sometimes of a friend I have who listens to me so closely that there are often long pauses after I talk. I know her well enough to know that she is really processing what I've said, but it felt awkward at first and I wanted to fill in the silence. I think about that a lot after I pray. Am I praying just to hear myself talk because the silence is just too awkward? I know how you feel, because I think this will always be a struggle for me, too. I just remind myself that practice improves pretty much anything.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home