Daniel Fast Update
First off, I thought I'd let you know that I'm eating peas, pears, and a banana for lunch. I feel like a 6 month old.
Anyways...I'm doing the Daniel Fast (only fruits, vegetables, and water) for Lent. Well, sort of. I realized that I really don't do well with veggies, and I was concerned about not eating enough, so I modified it a bit. Every other day, I do the straight Daniel Fast. On the in-between days, I eat whatever my family is having for lunch and supper, but try to avoid a lot of butter and cheese. And no dessert or snacks, unless it's just fruit. And breakfast is just fruit, or maybe a slice of toast. And just water to drink.
It occured to me today that I haven't had caffeine in two weeks. Wow. That's weird.
I'm not really doing this for religious reasons - my church doesn't do Lent. But I am finding that there's something spiritual (if that's the right word) about self-denial. We are so accustomed to giving in to our desires that saying no to a jellybean in a bowl next to me is a difficult thing. I tell myself that it's just one jellybean, no big deal. But there's something gratifying about not eating it.
And yesterday, which was an off day, we went out to eat. I really, really wanted a burger. And I could have had one. But then I got to thinking...burgers come with fries, and I really didn't need fries. And besides, I've lost 5.5 lbs. in the past two weeks. How much of that would come back if I ate that burger? So I went with a chicken caesar salad instead. And I felt good about it.
Labels: Daniel Fast, Lent
4 Comments:
i think that's a good way to go about it. go you!
Good for you! Wish I would do the same...
you know, chelley, i wouldn't have thought i could do it. i think it helps that i have an end date, and that on my daniel days, i know i can eat the next day; and on the off day, i feel like i'm getting a treat.
I'm so proud of you. You are amazing. Breast cancer cured me of my caffine habit. I can't tell you how much more satisifying my weekly cup of coffee is. I appreciate it a lot more and am spending a whole lot less.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home