Monday, January 24, 2011

Daniel Fast

I've been thinking about Lent. As I'm not Catholic or Lutheran, it's a pretty foreign concept to me. However, I think the idea behind it is good. Christ gave everything for us. Is it too much for us to give up something for Him, even for a short period of time? The question is, what should I give up? I want it to be something that's significant. Giving up Hershey bars and replacing them with Nestle Crunch doesn't count. Neither does bending the rules and saying, well, ok, only on Fridays.
This was on my mind as I was driving the other day, when I heard somebody on the radio talking about the Daniel Fast http://www.daniel-fast.com/ . It's based Daniel 1, where Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego vow to eat only fruits and vegetables for a certain period of time. Granted, their reasons were different, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a great way to eat healthfully.
The kicker is that wow - for me it would definitely be a big deal. I don't eat well at all. I hate most veggies and I love my Pepsi. But I'm open to the possibility that this could have a positive impact on my diet. I might actually find some vegetables that I like. Six weeks of shopping in the produce aisle could change my shopping habits, and I might get used to grabbing a banana for a snack.
I don't know - too extreme, or a good idea?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 24, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

incidentally, this would be for me, not my whole family. however, i think they could definitely benefit from having a bowl of fruit on the table :)

 
At January 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

it would be really hard, but should that stop you if that's what you feel you should do? no. so i say pray about it and see.
i felt very convicted to cover my hair for lent once. at times i very much didn't want to, but every time i put that covering on my head i remembered why and was blessed by it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home