Politics and Social Issues
I did a lot of thinking before the elections. I wanted to avoid voting strictly by political lines, but to prayerfully consider which individuals God would want me to vote for. As a Christian, I found myself hearing two basic arguments:
1. Vote for this side because they will protect the right to life and defend marriage.
2. Vote for this side because they will care for the widows and orphans and defend the aliens.
Now, I'm really not looking for a political argument here. Truth is, I hate politics. Both sides have valid points. And both sides make decisions that, frankly, I'm not thrilled with. All I want from the government is protection for my family - military and judicial. That's about it. And yes, that means my taxes would go to pay for that. But anyways, looking at the two issues I heard from most Christians, which side was right?
My conclusion was this - neither one. I think we are confusing government responsibilities with Christian duties. Does the Bible speak about moral issues such as abortion and homosexuality? Yes - and as Christians, we are to be obedient to God's commands in these and all other areas. Does Jesus tell us to care for the poor, the hungry, those in prison, the sick? Yes - He tells His people to do so. It is the Church's responsibility, not the government's, to tend to the elderly, help the single moms, and provide for the homeless. If we Christians would do our part, the government wouldn't have to pick up our slack.
And that's my soapbox for the day.
Labels: politics
3 Comments:
excellent points
Thank you! We have spoken so much about how made everyone gets about welfare, but no one acknowledges that if Christian's had been doing what they were told to do welfare wouldn't be needed.
Of course, welfare doesn't exactly inspire us to do what we should be doing either (as Christians). Even programs that are intended to be good can have bad consequences. We are most able and inspired to help when there is a need for us to (or when we think there is a need), imo.
I agree with you that neither side has it right. It turns out they're just two sides of the same coin (or however the saying goes:). It's not the government's job to provide for and help people; it's ours. By the same token, it's not our job to tell others what to do under the guise of "helping" them; all we can do is serve God and live our lives in a way that honors Him and inspires others. That's why I like that Ron Paul talks about consistency -- if you're for not meddling in your life, you should be for not meddling in anybody else's life, including those different from you and those across the world.
Good post! :) And I hate politics too, but you probably won't believe me. ;) Although, if you look at my blog and Facebook pre-Ron Paul, you'll see no mention of politics or else just annoyance when we were being bombarded by political ads. ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home