Friday, September 17, 2010

Deuteronomy 29:5

It's been one of those weeks. Unexpected expenses cut into the grocery budget, and since my hours have been cut drastically over the past few months, there wasn't a lot there in the first place. So then the question was do we take the money set aside for Bible study books? And we decided that wasn't an option. Then there was the money set aside for an upcoming out-of-town conference. Do we touch that? We decided no. We'd eat what we had in the house, and hold off touching the conference money if at all possible.
And you know what? God is good! I kept reminding myself of the story of the widow's oil (II Kings 4), and believed that God would be faithful. And He was. I kept telling myself "We only have to make it until payday on Thursday". We dined on macaroni and eggs and some leftovers from the back of the freezer. I dug out hotel bottles of shampoo.
On Thursday, I went to the store a bit concerned, because not only were we out of the usual stuff, but we'd used up most of the basics, too - cooking oil, salad dressing, toilet paper... How could I stretch my already too small check to restock my kitchen?
As I drove home with my back seat full (FULL!) of groceries, knowing there was enough money left over for the other things we needed for the week, I praised God. I honestly don't know how He did it, but He did.
God is so good!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

just so you know - i don't mean to make it sound like we're in bad shape. some weeks there's just not a whole lot of wiggle room. but God is so good. in fact, it's really hard to pray about our minor needs when i know there are many who are truly in need.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 3:43 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

I love how God reveals Himself to us in ways like this! One of our pastors said something I loved at a Women's Ministry meeting this month. He said, "As Christians we have the right to assume that God will provide for us." Loved it!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

So great to hear about your full back seat! Did you find a lot of coupons? I love when God shows Himself to be actually concerned about our everyday needs. I know that He is, I just don't always know that He is. :)
I think a little rough time is good now and then to keep us focused. I have a friend who purposely keeps things tight in order to keep her head on straight and realistic especially since she ministers to single moms. I'm starting to think that's a great idea.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i really think the biggest blessing this week wasn't the full backseat - it was the faith i needed to have to get through until payday. not that i'm asking for every week to be like this, but it's good to have to truly rely on Him and concede that we can't do it on our own. it's a wonderful reminder of where everything we have comes from.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home