Saturday, August 14, 2010

Peer Pressure

Erma and I have talked about purity. It's something we discuss from time to time. We didn't have some "special weekend" - we talk about it casually as things come up. Sometimes she'll ask a question; other times I'll start it.
At one point, the topic of purity rings was broached. I don't remember who brought it up, but I told her that if she wanted something to symbolize her decision to wait until marriage, we'd be happy to get her a ring. I also told her that the ring doesn't make her a virgin. Ring or not, she has to decide for herself - and vocalize to her boyfriend - what she's going to do. Personally, I think they're trendy and that some boys see it as a challenge. I know that, to some girls, it's a reminder of their commitment to be obedient to God, but to others, it doesn't really mean that much.
At any rate, Erma decided not to get one, even though she wants to wait until marriage. Don and I were fine with that.

Two of Erma's friends were not fine with that. "You have to have one, or people won't know." Erma said, "Those who matter will know." This debate went on for about a year, until her friends took it upon themselves to buy a purity ring for Erma.
Erma rolled her eyes at me and said, "I'm not going to wear it. Do I have to?" I told her I'm glad she and her friends have all decided to wait, and that it's important to each of them, but that it's up to her if she wants to wear it or not. I've noticed she wears it when she's with them, but that's it.

Honestly, I can't help but find it ironic that the peers who are so concerned about peer pressure are the ones who are insisting that she do what they do.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

very ironic

 
At August 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Sigh...

 
At August 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

on the plus side, it's nice this is what her peer pressure consists of -- sounds like she's got a pretty good group of friends :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home