Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Introverts in the Church

I'm only up to page 19, but have already gotten teary-eyed several times. Finally, somebody who gets me!
Adam McHugh writes about a young woman who was struggling to find her place in the church -
"She had positive relationships with people in the community [her church], but she was always considered to be on the fringe because she spent a lot of time to herself. The ideal of 'intimacy' in this community was people constantly together, and the implicit assumption was that the more activities and social interaction a person engaged in, the closer she was to God. Others thought Emily was antisocial and, therefore, lacking in faith. She was also resistant to sharing intimate details of her life with others, and her lack of vulnerability was construed as a heart resistant to God. Even though she had strong leadership traits, she was never asked to be a leader because she did not show the outward expressiveness that was considered a mark of faithfulness in this community. To her, the expectation to share everything with others felt intrusive, and she groaned, 'Why do I have to let everyone into every corner of my life?'"

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Hmmmm...hits a bit close to home for me. I'm not much of a "sharer", but I've bought into the more involved you are in church the closer you are to God thing. For me, this could not be farther from the truth. Of the Be Still and Know thing, I struggle most with BEING STILL.

 
At August 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i just don't see how going to the church ice cream social is going to get me - or anybody else - into Heaven

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home