Friday, May 14, 2010

Church

More often than not, I feel incredibly lonely at church. Part of it is me - I'm not a mingly, extroverted-type person. Hospitality is not my spiritual gift. I do much better in smaller settings. Part of it is Don's schedule. He works most evenings and every other weekend, which has always made it difficult to be involved. And part of it is that I've always taught Sunday School. Teaching Sunday School is a wonderful thing, and I really think one of the most important things any of us can do is share Jesus with children. But teaching Sunday School can also be very lonely.
At our previous church, I'd teach and, regardless of how many notes went home to parents, I'd still have parents who had no clue that I taught their kids (which always baffled me - why on earth would you not make a point to know who your children spent an hour a week with? and thanking those teachers occasionally would be a nice gesture). And Don would go to the adult class alone, which he never liked because nobody ever notices the single people.
At our current church, Sunday School is held at odd times. Don teaches the adult class, which for some reason is made up of all older adults rather than our peers, and I go along as dutiful wife, thus missing out on coffee time with everyone else. I teach 5th graders, and while I love those kids, the class time is after the service, during our fellowship lunch, which means, yep, I miss out on eating and fellowshiping with everyone else.
Women's group, I go when I can (which is irregularly because Don works and I have to be available for the girls). That said, I force myself to go because of all that mingly stuff and because I think the book we're studying is watered-down fluff.

And so...when they decided to go with small groups/mini church groups next year instead of separate men's and women's groups, I was thrilled. We were a part of one once and I loved it - probably the only time I ever really felt like I belonged. A close group of people to pray with and serve with and grow with. Finally, we'd be able to get to know some of our peers better. Don and I could go together and it would meet a need both of us are struggling with.
Last night, the elders worked on splitting up the groups. And when Don came home and told me, I cried. No, we're not in a group with other parents about our age. Don will be leading the old people group.
It's not that I don't like these people. It's not that I don't think I can learn a lot from them. It's that I'm lonely. And I need to be developing friendships. And I don't know what to do other than cry.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At May 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

I hear you on this (sort of). I haven't been to church or small group for probably a month or so. I don't like going anymore because I want to cry (or do cry) every time I leave. :( Of course, not going probably makes the situation worse. But I don't want to feel that way every time I go to church of all places. I could find a new one, but I'm guessing it would be the exact same thing. Yes, some of it (or a lot of it) is my fault, but I'm like you and it's really hard for me. And I'm always single, so it's always hard and discouraging. Blech. When is Jesus going to return??

 
At May 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i wonder how many other people feel this way. it seems to me that we should come home from church feeling encouraged, or refreshed, or challenged. and yet i think far too many come home feeling more lonely than they were when they first got to church that morning.
how is it that churches are missing the boat on this? what can be done to change it?

 
At May 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i came across a book in a magazine a while ago called "introverts in the church". i've been looking for it at the library since then, but haven't had much luck. i think i'm going to have to just buy it. if i find it has anything insightful or brilliant, i'll let you know.

 
At May 14, 2010 at 2:34 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i'm also lonely at church and don't know what to do about it. so sorry. i have no ideas. :(

 
At May 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

ooh - our library has that book, but there are 7 requests for 2 copies right now

 
At May 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

I've heard of that book and also wanted to read it- although I'm not an introvert (is a pastor's daughter ever allowed to be an introvert? :)) but so that I could better understand how to reach out to people that find church hard- like my husband.

There was an article I read about how some introverts want to be left alone at church so that they can process without the stress of talking to people, but I'm not sure that was helpful advice. Any thoughts there ladies?

What we have found that has helped, is that we practice hospitality not particularily at church, but at home. We have people over a least once a week (we started with once a month until we got comfortable with the whole process.) This gives Josh (and me) the chance to get to know people in a quieter, smaller setting and he likes to cook for a big group (this was part of the learning process- I don't cook for guests! Way too stressful!) so it's a win win there. And for me, it balances the fact that we often leave church well before I'm ready to -aka while the lights are still on!

And really, you wouldn't even have to cook for people, you could just order pizza and even play games since you wouldn't have the problem of little fingers and toes trying to join in the fun! (We tried playing a game with Tim and Arlene last night for the first time ever at our house and it, well, sort of worked!)

Basically there is a semi fluid group of people and we see them in small groups each about two or three times a year- and I do all the inviting by facebook or email because I don't like doing it face to face! If there are people that we don't click with, then we just don't invite them again! Very easy! :) And it makes it very easy to meet people of all ages. Basically we started with people that we already knew and then got more adventurous! A few weeks ago, a guy made a few comments in Sunday School and looked new (and was... whew!) so we asked them for a Subway (do you have those) sandwich lunch picnic thing in the park- that was scary! But it was okay. I'm trying to get the courage to ask over some of the college and career people-who-are-way-cooler-than-me, but that might take some more time!

 
At May 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

sorry for my book! I hadn't realized I had become so rambly! :)

 
At May 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Yeah, I dunno what the solution is. That's nice that you're doing all those things though, Kimberly! You're obviously making an effort! :)

The problem is that as introverts, we'd probably have to be the ones invited instead of doing the inviting ourselves. And my church doesn't have Sunday school (just small groups, where your group sets the time/place), so how would people even know to invite me? I end up knowing nobody. :(

And when I do try to take a leap and try out something like that, like say a small group, it ends up going poorly and I always feel like I don't fit in. First of all, everyone already knows each other (and it's like, why don't I know anybody considering how long I've been there, which is embarrassing). Second of all, the struggles everyone talks about are not the struggles I have, so I end up feeling even more shut out and becoming even quieter. So frustrating. :(

And with something like you're talking about, I'm guessing I would still feel like the odd one out, because you'd probably invite over all couples (not your fault; it's just that that's all there is!). I guess I just need to get over that and accept that I'm different, but I don't know that it's gonna happen any time soon... (which is why I could probably use church -- this is a never-ending cycle apparently;)

And then there's volunteering. I'm not cut out for most of the areas they have to volunteer in. Greeting? No, I am (obviously) not outgoing. Teaching? I don't like the idea of leading others when I don't have things together myself! Nursery? Um, no.

So yeah, I dunno what the solution is. I'm supposed to go door-to-door to hand out fliers within the next couple weeks, so maybe that will make me a little more outgoing. (As of now, I'm pretty scared about it!)

Also a book. Sorry. :)

 
At May 29, 2010 at 12:35 AM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

I'm sorry. I'm hurting for you and praying for you. Love you so much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home