Friday, February 19, 2010

I AM

I remember my college Sunday School teacher telling us that when the storms come, we need to remember three things: God is LOVING (I John 4:8), God is WISE (Isaiah 55:8-9), and God is ALL-POWERFUL (Job 42:2). Because God is loving, He wants what is best for us. Because He is wise, He knows the best way to bring that about. And because He is all-powerful, He is able to make it happen. My teacher said that if we hold on to that threefold truth, we can weather any storm.

That thought has carried me through many instances in which I've wondered 'why'. It has brought me comfort, assurance, and hope. It has been my anchor when the winds and waves have been overwhelming.

Recently, I've come to realize something else. I know that God's love, wisdom, and might are more than enough for me. And yet God gives us something more. No matter what we are facing, God has an attribute or name that meets our need.

When you have been betrayed or stung by somebody close to you, God is FAITHFUL (Psalm 145:13).
When you don't know how your physical needs will be met, He is your PROVIDER (Philippians 4:19).
When you feel like you are under attack, He is your FORTRESS (Psalm 94:22).
When you are drowning in tears, God is your COMFORTER (Psalm 119:76).
When you don't know where to turn, He is your COUNSELOR (Isaiah 9:6).
When you come to Him in repentance, He is FORGIVING (I John 1:9).
When you need a second chance, He is full of GRACE (II Corinthians 12:9).
When you are all alone, He is your FRIEND (John 15:15).
When you are surrounded by darkness, God is your LIGHT (John 8:12).
When you don't know who to trust, He is the TRUTH (John 14:6).
When your world is in turmoil, He brings you PEACE (Philippians 4:7).

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At February 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Thank you. :) I needed to hear that. (although I do sometimes wish He were there to physically give me a hug!;)

 
At February 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Yup yup,

although I find it hard to take when other Christians look at my illness and can't understand why God is not my healer.

 
At February 22, 2010 at 8:22 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

it's like looking at a small or non-existent bank account and saying He's not a provider. God provides what we need each day - sometimes it's our daily bread, sometimes it's just enough physical strength or rest to make it through the day. healing, like the meeting of other physical needs, doesn't always look like we might want it to. we want God to take the troubles away, especially when we see someone else suffering. it's not easy to understand that His plan is perfect.

 
At February 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Yes, I agree completely, it's just frustrating when people misunderstand God's provision. I have a family full of health and wealth-ers and they would see your post in an entirely different way!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home