Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What to Do?

Erma and Scout are in the same Sunday School class. They (Erma especially) hate the class. The thing they hate about it is its lack of substance and the feeling that the teachers are talking down to them. Erma says, "Today they told us to forgive each other. We know that. We've known that since we were 6."
Fact is, I have to agree with her. These kids need to be challenged. I'm so frustrated with curriculum that focuses on us, rather than on God. Why not dig deep and ask the tough questions. I asked the girls if they could try to spur some more challenging discussion ("I know it says this, but what if..." or "But why does God say...") and their response was "No, we're expected to give the Sunday School answer. It's always yes or no, and it's so obvious what we're supposed to say."
So what's a mom to do? Their teachers are really nice women, but I do see where they could be condescending and reluctant to push these kids.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i think you could casually mention that your girls have been really been wanting to be challenged lately, not necessarily mentioning s.s. in particular, just make a general statement. i don't know.

good job, your girls, though. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home