Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Music Reviews - London Philharmonic and Various Artists

The London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir - Handel's Messiah, Vol. 1
The saddest part of church choirs disappearing due to worship teams and praise bands is that we miss out of masterpieces like this. It's not easy to find a church that performs The Messiah at Christmastime, and that's a shame. Handel was brilliant, and his concerto is absolutely beautiful.
High Point - Rejoice Greatly O Daughter of Zion and For Unto Us a Child is Born
Low Point - Really? In Handel's Messiah? I don't think so.

Various Artists - The New Young Messiah
How about that - I picked these two on the same day. The Young Messiah was an updated (but not too much) version of some selections of The Messiah, performed about 15 years ago by top Christian artists. Don and I went to the concert, and it was wonderful (the concert also had 4 Him singing a too funny version of Deck the Halls which, sadly, is not on this cd, or any cd that I'm aware of).
High Point - Comfort Ye My People (Wayne Watson). This song showcases what an amazing voice Watson has. I really like I Know That My Redeemer Liveth (Steve Green) and For Unto Us a Child is Born (Bebe and Cece Winans), too
Low Point - Rejoice Greatly O Daughter of Zion (First Call). I really, really don't like their a cappela version.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At December 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

that's cuz it's a capella

 
At December 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

a capella with all the frilly voice stuff in the background

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home