Friday, November 27, 2009

Fargo

I'm going to Fargo tomorrow. Most people wouldn't think that's all that exciting, but I can't wait. I'm going to pick up a very special friend who's coming for a quick visit :)
I'm looking forward to it for another reason, too. Fargo has a special significance for me. Two years ago, when everything was crashing down around me, I took off in the car, hit the interstate, and just drove. I had no destination in mind; I simply told Don that at some point I'd hit an ocean or an international border and then I'd turn around.
I didn't make it that far, but I did make it to Fargo. And on that road, there and back, I heard God's voice.

God, where do I go from here? What do You want me to do?
Forgive him.
So I turned on the radio and pretended that wasn't what God had said. We repeated this conversation two more times.
I can't.
Why not?
Because I'm scared.
Scared of what?
I'm afraid if I forgive him, the cycle will start all over again. I'm just giving him license to hurt me again.
Only I know whether or not it's going to happen again. But don't you think that I will carry you through whatever lies ahead?

And at that point, I realized what forgiveness means, and I understood that it's not about trusting Don - it's about trusting my faithful, loving God. He hasn't let me down yet!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home