Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ghost of Christmas Past: Violet's Present

I'm a present shaker, and I'll freely admit it. Over the years, I've developed figuring out what's in the box into a science. I never open the gifts ahead of time (unlike my scheming husband!), because to me, the fun is in the guessing.

As a result, my parents had to be creative. There was the box of mac & cheese tucked in with a shirt (I thought it was a puzzle), and one year they switched all the tags (and forgot to switch a couple back: I, at 16, got a Barbie, 5-year-old Mel got a too-big sweater. She cried.)

One year, though, they really got me. There was an elderly lady we drove to church, and she always gave us Spritz cookies for Christmas. And so I wasn't surprised to see, tucked way beneath the tree, a brown paper bag with "To The Brandybucks, From Violet" written in shaky writing. I left that gift and went on shaking every other package.

Christmas morning arrived, and my dad told me to open Violet's present. "Why? You open it. It's just cookies." I responded. But he insisted. And lo and behold, inside the brown bag was a present, to Hobbitsister from Santa.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At December 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

fine. you got me. i have cried before. but you try being 5 and wanting a barbie so badly, only to have your sister, who you knew didn't care about the wonderfulness of it, get it instead - and then to top it off, get a huge 80s sweater. you would've cried, too.

 
At December 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

oh, and by a way - if i was 5, you were 17. cuz you're that much older than i.

 
At December 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

AND, we're the brandybucks, not the foscos

 
At December 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

:P

 
At December 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

lol (have I mentioned I love little mel stories? thanks again!;)

as for violet, that was very sneaky. He would've known she & Santa (and your family;) were in cahoots! ;)

 
At December 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

who's in the picture?

 
At December 21, 2008 at 8:23 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i don't know - it's just a random picture i found

 
At December 21, 2008 at 11:43 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

oh :)

 
At December 22, 2008 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Clever parents! And poor Mel!

Fun stories. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home