Sunday, November 16, 2008

Things for Which I Am Thankful, Part 16


Three years ago in September, a newborn baby came to Slip Aunt's for foster care. She didn't have a name, so we all offered our suggestions - Caris, Hadessa, Stephanie, Anna, Cinderella...oh, and 3-year-old Sunshine wanted to name her Sunshine. "Like your name?" asked Mel. "Yes!" Sunshine replied. Slip Aunt has provided foster care for dozens, possibly hundreds, of children, and each one is so very special. But this one just grabbed our hearts in a different way. We all claimed her right from the start.

I got to meet this baby on Thanksgiving, and when I held her, I knew she was ours (which was pretty much our whole family's reaction). Later, on the ride home, I thought about the baby, and about the fact that BoofAunt had pretty much hogged her all day, jumping every time she cried. She'd also been driving the 2 1/2 hours from her house to Slip Aunts just about every weekend since the baby had arrived. And so I started praying fervently...

A year earlier, BoofAunt told me that she and Uncle Boof were going to start looking into adoption. We'd been praying for 10 years that God would bless them with children, and we were still waiting. They were thinking they wanted older children, possibly a sibling set, and they'd be happy to take a child with special needs.

God heard those prayers, and He sent just what they wanted - a baby, no siblings, and perfectly healthy. He provided a social worker that quickly put everything into motion, and just before Christmas, BoofAunt and Uncle Boof took Baby Girl home with them.

I love all of my cousins, but Baby Girl is an answer to years of wrestling with God. That's why today, I'm thankful for Baby Girl.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At November 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

stuckersliten. why are grown-ups so mean as to laugh at babies when they're crying and then take pictures of them?

i'm very thankful for baby girl. i babysat her when she was a week old, and, knowing how i feel about babies, the fact that i didn't put her down for three hours told me there was something special about her. and yes, she's definitely ours. not just boofaunt and uncle boof's. we all adopted her. could any baby be more doted on?

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i love her chipmunk cheeks!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

She is a cutie. :) But what's 'stuckersliten' mean?

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:37 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

it's swedish, and it means something like "poor little darling". mormor always said it when we were sad, so we use it in reference to crying babies - although i'm not sure it's actually used exclusively that way

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

I would very much like to meet her, since I prayed for her before she was born:) (Okay, not directly for her, but I prayed fervently when I found out cousin was planning to adopt. And I think that counts:)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:34 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

that does count. thank you SO much for your prayers!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 6:23 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

thanks, hobbitsister :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home