Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mormor

"Mormor" is Swedish for grandmother (more correctly, mother's mother). We always called our maternal grandmother that, to distinguish her from our other grandma.
Mormor went Home 14 years ago. About 6 or 7 years ago, a mom and daughter came through my line at the grocery store. They were buying chocolate chips and other baking items. The little girl proudly told me, "We're going to make cookies for Mormor!"
It was so good to hear that name again! I said, "You have a Mormor? I have a Mormor, too!"
After the girl made sure that my Mormor wasn't the same as hers, she said, "I'm going to her house. Are you going to your Mormor's house?"
"No, I haven't seen my Mormor in a long time. But someday I will."
"Okay," the girl said. And off she went to make cookies for her Mormor.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 12, 2008 at 3:41 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

the danish indian gypsy has a farmor and a farfar. it sounds so backwards to me.

 
At November 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Only in Minnesota. Or Sweden. ;)

 
At November 12, 2008 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Oh, that's cool! My mom's mom was Granny, which is not nearly as uncommon as Mormor, but still not all THAT common. So I love hearing people talk about their Grannys.

 
At November 13, 2008 at 2:13 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Isn't is wonderful to know that you will see her again someday? :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home