Thursday, October 02, 2008

Any Job Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Well

I admit I have OCD tendencies. One issue that's big for me is how to set the table. Here is how it should be done.
My beloved husband, Enrique, thinks it doesn't matter where the silverware or glasses go, and so I frequently have to re-set the table when he's done. Today he suggested (nicely) that maybe I lighten up a bit. After all, in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?

Does it? No (I say begrudgingly). But if it doesn't matter to him where the dishes go, and it quite obviously matters to me, shouldn't he make the effort to do it my way? It takes just as much time to set the table correctly as it does to do it haphazardly.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At October 3, 2008 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I agree with you (sorry, Enrique). And another reason for doing it right? It shows your kids how to do it right. Because even if they choose to disregard these rules as adults, at least they'll know how it's supposed to be done. You know, should there ever be an occasion where they need to know. (I don't know what that occasion would be - but I'm sure there is one!)

 
At October 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

mother also insists that the plates and silverware be one inch from the edge of the table. and you're not asking enrique to do that, so he should be happy that you're as laid back about it as you are. also, the way a table is set is important because it shows that you care enough about the people for whom you are setting it to care about how things are presented to them. just ask mormor.

 
At October 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

it's a good point, hobbitsister :) (i don't think enrique will get much support on this blog;)

i like how you call her laid back, mel -- you're right though; it's all relative! :)

and photo, i thought of an occasion -- anyone ever seen the reality show on some cable show about becoming a princess? (The American Princess or something like that??) I think it's canceled now, but you never know when an opportunity like that is going to present itself again... ;)

 
At October 3, 2008 at 9:44 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to set the table hapharzardly on your nights if that is what he prefered it that way? (Please don't everyone jump down my throat, it is an honest question. I personally don't like the bed made since it takes more time to get back in it, but I make it all week. But on Saturday when it is Chris's turn to make the bed he doesn't. Not because he is lazy or doesn't want it made, just because I like it that way.)

 
At October 3, 2008 at 11:51 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

aww :)

I don't like the bed made either. Plus, I heard once on K-Love that leaving it unmade is actually better because the air gets to it and kills germs. :)

 
At October 4, 2008 at 1:35 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

no, busy - i'm not going to set it haphazardly, because it doesn't matter to him. if it mattered, then yes, i would compromise (although i'll admit it would bother me). he doesn't set it the wrong way because he likes it that way, it's because it's not a big deal to him, so he doesn't stop to think about it.

 
At October 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

oh, i meant to tell you -- that's a great diagram you found :)

 
At October 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

it's actually supposed to be a worksheet for spanish. but it kind of looks like i'm saying "this goes here, and that goes there..."

 
At October 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

what if one were to never learn how to do these things properly, and then they were invited to have lunch with the queen? good thing my mother was properly trained!

 
At October 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

well, almost...

 
At October 4, 2008 at 6:09 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

that sounds like a story, hobsis...

 
At October 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

a story with a horrid ending! namely that she ruined my chances of marrying the prince!

 
At October 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

gasp!

 
At October 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Well, as long as you would if he cared;P And I loved it when you taught your girls how to properly introduce people just in case they had tea with the queen.

 
At October 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

it just might happen, you know ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home