Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Quote and Grammar Lesson of the Day


I didn't saw a chicken at the horses.


- Hannah Gosselin


This is one of my girls' favorite quotes from Jon & Kate Plus 8, because Hannah's just so darn cute when she says it.

It got me thinking, though, that 3-year-old Hannah knows her grammar pretty well. After all, had she seen a chicken, she would have said, "I saw a chicken at the horses." However, there was no chicken. Shouldn't it be correct, therefore, to say "I didn't saw..."?

Personally, I think preschoolers who "didn't saw" things, "runned" fast, and have a "favoritest" toy have a very good grasp of the rules of the English language.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At August 12, 2008 at 12:57 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

it's true. children grasp the rules amazingly quickly. it's grown-ups who are dumb and make exceptions.

 
At August 12, 2008 at 5:40 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

i was gonna say that, mel! well, i was just gonna say "it's very true" without insulting us. ;)

 
At August 12, 2008 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Ha. When I first glanced at melilot's comment, I read, "It's true. Chicken grasp the rules..."

Now that would be an interesting statement!

(Although I agree with your REAL statement!)

 
At August 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

:) Yup, Aiden is exactly at that age. And I feel so bad correcting him because I'm only confusing him more when he's trying so hard to learn!

 
At August 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

as long as you speak correctly, he'll pick up most of the rules on his own

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home