Dear Convention Protesters,
This is America, and I for one am glad that you have the right to voice your pro-war/anti-war/pro-abortion/anti-abortion/pro-save-the-whales/anti-whales opinion. Your thoughts are important, and I believe lawmakers have an obligation to listen to what the people have to say.
However, you do not need to stuff your ideas in others' faces. If you are beligerent, obnoxious, violent, and rude I see no reason why someone should take the time to consider what you are saying. I am much more likely to listen if a person is calm, polite, and presents well-thought out arguments. Think about it - why would I take your side if you're yelling and threatening me?
Labels: manners police, things that annoy me
11 Comments:
You poor Minnesotans! (except for mel since she's skipping town;) I completely understand what you're saying, although I haven't experienced too much of it in that context (only at family functions;). It kind of makes me think of witnessing, actually. It's hard for me not to push that down people's throats and yet I don't want to Not say anything either. Calm is best, like you said, but that means you also have to accept people disagreeing with you even though you're presenting logical thought-out arguments (in your mind, at least:), which is hard & attacks our pride & so we react more aggressively than we should. Then there's that whole mob psychology thing that Lemony Snicket talks about in some of his later SUE books. ;) Anyway, I feel for you -- I'm glad I'm in DSM this weekend. ;)
Whew, chelley! I was just going to say, "Really? Who could be anti-whales?" But now I think I'd better coem up with more to say...
sorry...
it's true though -- are there many people who are against whales? (if so, i don't see how they logically can be, & so i can see why they feel the need to rely on more aggressive methods to convince people to take their side;)
the captain guy in moby dick was anti-whale. and yes, he'd probably be all in-your-face about it. i was just trying to cover everybody's differing points of view, whether i agreed or not.
protesters (on whatever side they are) are annoying
the sad thing is, there are those who want to peaceably present their case, but the loudmouths get in the way.
what they should do is, at each convention, have a day set aside for these groups to have their say. have a special place where one or two representatives of each organization can have 15 minutes to say what they need to say. it should be televized, so america can hear them, and congress members should be there, because they have a duty to listen to the people.
and aside from that, no protesting allowed.
ooh, and this time we had anarchists who weren't protesting anything, just causing trouble (to put it mildly). seriously - just shoot 'em all in the foot.
great idea!
i saw this feature on the news where a reporter wanted to find out how many protesters knew whom they were protesting against. i know they only show the stupid people, but it was amazing how many people couldn't recognize our country's leaders
that's really frustrating when they don't know what/who they're protesting!
i read somewhere what the protests were all about. they were disgruntled twins fans who were upset that our boys were gone so long because of the stupid dummy convention.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home