Tuesday, May 27, 2008

So Many Books, So Little Time...

I'm reading a novel about this abolitionist in the South during the Civil War. I don't particularly care for it, and I'm not sure quite why I'm determined to finish it. I picked it up at the library because I've been reading so many heavy books (subject matter, not size) lately that I needed to read something frivolous.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At May 27, 2008 at 4:52 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i don't think it counts as frivolous if you don't like it

 
At May 27, 2008 at 4:52 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At May 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

you're right - i was going for frivolous and ended up with pointless

 
At May 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

that's what you picked for frivolous? i hate to say it, but you sound like hermione ;)

 
At May 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

it's a Christian romance (and when she told me that, i was very understanding)

 
At May 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Okay, I was going to say it, too - that does not sound frivolous! But now that you say it's a Christian romance, I understand. But I agree with melilot - if you don't like it, it's not really fun enough to be frivolous.

I just read a book by Rachel Hauck - Christian chick lit - if you are interested. Or Kristin Billerbeck is very frivolous. (And I mean that in a good way, not a bad one!) :)

 
At May 28, 2008 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Which book? (so we can avoid it too! Got to love all the useless Christian romance lit out there!)

 
At May 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

the book was "candle in the darkness", by lynn austin. and good heavens, the ending was dumb.

(meanwhile, mel is laughing because she thinks "you couldn't tell that ahead of time with a title like that?")
the author's name even sounds like a Christian novel writer.

 
At May 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

so did everyone in the book see that JESUS is the candle in the darkness?

 
At May 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

SPOILER, IN CASE YOU CARE!!!
no, silly. the heroine was the candle in the darkness because she wanted to end slavery - which she did through her esther-like faith in God, of course.
and then, because of her great faith, everything turned out happy. her father the blockade runner came home with tons of money, her racist fiance decided to marry her anyways, and all the slaves were free and reunited with their family members. :)

 
At May 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

I've actually just read that one recently and actually liked it. I found it way less romancy than a lot of other Christian lit out there, and liked that she didn't tie up all the loose ends of the stories. I read the other two books in the trilogy and they take other character's perspectives of what happens (the second one follows her cousin in the north who becomes a war nurse and the last one follows the little slave boy that was sold a the beginning and tells what happens to him.) It may not be your cup of tea, but I enjoyed them.

 
At June 1, 2008 at 9:58 AM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i didn't know it was a trilogy. i might like the one about the slave better.
this genre of books really isn't my thing, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home