Book Review: The Year of Living Biblically

Note: Mel, I'm keeping this spoiler-free.
When I was in college at the state university, I took a class on the Bible as literature. About half of the students were Christians, from one denomination or another. The other half was made up of atheists, agnostics, "non-religious Catholics", and a Jehovah's Witness.
It was a fascinating class. Never before (or since) had I studied the Bible with people who didn't interpret it the same way I did. My family and friends all believe as I do, so I've never really had the opportunity to understand why many don't believe. I think those of us who grew up in Christian homes tend to remain surrounded by a Bible bubble - how then can we relate to those outside of the bubble?
This book was another chance to view the Bible from a different perspective. AJ Jacobs is Jewish by birth, although he was pretty much raised agnostic. He embarks on a quest to understand religion, and as part of that quest, he resolves to follow the Bible's commands as literally as possible for an entire year.
This could come across as trivial or even offensive, if not for AJ's genuine desire to understand the meanings behind the laws. He is truly seeking, and that's what makes this a great book.
When I was in college at the state university, I took a class on the Bible as literature. About half of the students were Christians, from one denomination or another. The other half was made up of atheists, agnostics, "non-religious Catholics", and a Jehovah's Witness.
It was a fascinating class. Never before (or since) had I studied the Bible with people who didn't interpret it the same way I did. My family and friends all believe as I do, so I've never really had the opportunity to understand why many don't believe. I think those of us who grew up in Christian homes tend to remain surrounded by a Bible bubble - how then can we relate to those outside of the bubble?
This book was another chance to view the Bible from a different perspective. AJ Jacobs is Jewish by birth, although he was pretty much raised agnostic. He embarks on a quest to understand religion, and as part of that quest, he resolves to follow the Bible's commands as literally as possible for an entire year.
This could come across as trivial or even offensive, if not for AJ's genuine desire to understand the meanings behind the laws. He is truly seeking, and that's what makes this a great book.
Labels: AJ Jacobs, book reviews
7 Comments:
i want to read it! i think i'm like 170 or something now. :)
you're either #1 or #2 for my book - you have to fight enrique for it.
but really, if there are 170 people waiting for it, why doesn't the library buy a few more copies?
there are a few (i don't remember how many), but yeah, more would be good. it would probably be better to borrow yours, though. i'm currently reading 'fotr', not quite sure when i'll be done, so it's up to him.
enrique claimed it first. i'll bug him to read it, though.
yeah, they do need more copies... and why are your library waiting list numbers so high? that never happens to me... and yes, i do sometimes put things on hold & i do visit the library from time to time ;) maybe i'm just not choosing the right books
i know you can't spoil anything, but i hope that after a year of living biblically he had a spiritual awakening! ;)
actually, i should try the mpls library. i tried the county one, which serves the whole county.
read the book, chel!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home