Monday, December 10, 2007

Movie Review: Enchanted


Sorry, Didder, but I was actually asked out on a date, so I went. I'll see it again with you, though

I liked this movie. It was charming, it was funny, it was sweet. While it spoofed the Disney princess movies, it did it in a way that didn't ruin the magic those stories have (which I don't mean in such a cheesy way as that sounds). My family was amused that while Gisele was running through Central Park, singing, and everyone joined her in typical movie musical fashion, Patrick Dempsey was utterly bewildered, muttering, "How do they know that song? I've never heard that song before..." (of course they knew it - it's a musical)

And Alan Menken did the score, which makes it a great Disney movie. And Amy Adams was adorable. And there was Patrick Dempsey. And there was even a Harry Potter actor for Chelleybutton.

One of the things I liked best about the movie, though, was that when Gisele finds out that couples in our world don't always live happily ever after, she's really sad about it. I think we've become so accustomed to divorce that we tend to think of it as something that just happens sometimes - even for those of us who don't know a lot of divorced couples. We think, "Oh, that's too bad," and then we go on. Gisele wasn't like that, and that's a good thing.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At December 10, 2007 at 8:15 AM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Yay! I've heard only good things about this movie -- I really want to see it! And now I'm dying to know which HP actor you're talking about! ;)

 
At December 10, 2007 at 8:15 AM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

not telling - you have to see the movie!

 
At December 10, 2007 at 8:17 AM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

there's always imdb... but i'll try to wait ;)

 
At December 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i want to see it! come visit me, chelleybutton.

 
At December 22, 2007 at 11:46 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

I just saw it last night! (not that you'll see this though, since it's in the archives... but I loved the park scene where everyone joins in with her! soo funny!:) And would you believe I completely forgot to look for a Harry Potter character? But when I saw the character as a cartoon, I thought, "s/he looks/sounds familiar; who is it?" and knew immediately when s/he crossed into the real world. ;) But still didn't remember that you said that until I just re-read your post now! (I think I need more sleep;)

Anyway, I agree with your review. I thought it was cute and funny. I liked how they kind of made fun of themselves but still followed some of the cheesy princess stuff & pulled it off. And Amy Adams was perfect -- wouldn't that be a fun role to play?? (of course, Susan Sarandon's part might be fun too;)

 
At December 24, 2007 at 5:02 AM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

melilot and i will have to go see it this week, and then she can add her comments

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home