Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering...


I was taking the kids to school, and the car radio was on. I heard something about a plane crash, but I turned the radio off because the kids were too loud. After I dropped them off, I turned the radio back on...

I remember I had to stop at the grocery store for something. I asked the cashier, "Did you hear?" and she nodded. That was all we said - I wanted to get home to the TV.

Coming in the door, I called to Enrique, "Turn the TV on!" He was already watching. We sat numbly in front of the television for the rest of the morning. Scout came home from kindergarten, and Enrique and I took turns entertaining her while the other one watched the news.

The girls had heard little bits at school - I'm so thankful for teachers who kept on doing their job while the rest of us tried to grasp what was happening. My children felt safe, thanks to the wonderful job their teachers did in talking about the situation. For Erma, as long as she knew she was ok, she wasn't scared. Scout prayed for the firefighters for weeks afterwards (until she saw the flags go back up), but it wasn't until last year that she understood the crashes weren't accidents. We had just answered their questions as they came, but it never occured to us that she didn't really know what had happened.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

I felt really guilty b/c I was half asleep and eating my cereal when it happened. My roommate saw it when it happened (the 2nd plane, I think) and said something, but I turned and looked for a second and turned back away b/c I'm so not a morning person -- isn't that embarrassing?? I think I just didn't register what happened until they said it.

That would be hard to know how to tell kids though... I mentioned it to a couple of my older students and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about so I didn't elaborate too much. I suppose they were really young when it happened, but it seemed odd that they didn't know now.

Anyway, I think Scout had the right idea with praying... I really need to be praying about bigger things and see what God does. I tend to have the attitude that it's hopeless sometimes, which is not true. He can so answer those huge prayers, and our faith/hope could grow a ton when we see Him work in answer to our prayers!

 
At September 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Wow, that was long, sorry...

 
At September 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i wouldn't feel bad about not grasping what was happening right away, especially if you were half asleep. like i said, i turned the radio off because i didn't think it was anything big.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 8:44 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Chris and I were talking about that. He was on a call to New York when it happened when his line went completely dead. When we talked that morning, I just wanted him home. Illogical, maybe, but I just wanted him home. My son was just a few months old, so I judge how much time has passed by how big he has grown. It is hard, sometimes, because I think of other parents who left their babies that day and never came home again. I pray for those children frequently, everytime M has a milestone or needs his mommy, I pray for those children. Time passes so quickly. Six years already.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

scout's good at that praying thing. i need to learn from her example.

i was in class and someone said that a plane had crashed into the wtc and i thought 'ok, that's bad, a plane crash.' and went on with my day. my roommate and i didn't have a tv, so i didn't really see anything. it didn't hit me til the next day when i heard on the radio that it was worse than pearl harbor that i realized what a big deal it was. (and i remember thinking it was eerie cuz i had just seen 'pearl harbor' a couple days before with a guy friend and had thought at that time 'what if something like that happened today and he had to go off to war?')

 
At September 12, 2007 at 3:24 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

both girls are good at praying, but i do need to encourage it more.
at that time, for scout, she understood that something really bad had happened and that a lot of people were trying to help. she wanted to help, too, and praying was the way she could. (why don't i think that way?)

 
At September 12, 2007 at 8:53 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

I know, same here! Maybe we'll start thinking that way... :)

 
At September 12, 2007 at 8:57 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i wasn't dissing erma. like you've said before, scout is very good at praying for people she doesn't know, and erma is great at praying for those she does.

 
At September 12, 2007 at 9:39 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i said that? how insightful of me, because that's very true.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home