Monday, September 03, 2007

Movie Review: Pot of Gold


First off, it must be said that I love Jimmy Stewart. Gable may be the king, Cary Grant may be the epitome of suave, Gene Kelly may be so fine (doo lang, doo lang, doo lang)...but with very rare exceptions I'd pick a Stewart movie over any of the others. He makes me happy. And if I had to choose a grandpa (I'd pick the two God gave me, because they're the best - so let's say if I had to choose a 3rd one), I'd pick Jimmy Stewart.
So last night, Enrique and I watched an old Jimmy Stewart movie - Pot of Gold. There's a reason this movie isn't typically listed alongside It's a Wonderful Life, The Philadelphia Story, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Shenandoah and all his other great movies. It's hopelessly cheesy. Stewart's cranky uncle is feuding with a group of musicians. Stewart sides with the musicians, and hilarity ensues. It's a musical (yes, Jimmy sings) and even includes a wonderful 1930s dream sequence.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At September 3, 2007 at 4:56 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

So even though it's hopelessly cheesy, you're giving it thumbs up, right? Is that only b/c of Jimmy?

 
At September 3, 2007 at 4:56 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Pot of Gold makes me think of chocolate. :D

 
At September 3, 2007 at 9:22 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i've seen it too, and yes, it's super cheesy. but like you said, it's jimmy stewart, so you can't help but enjoy it. but yeah, it has a dream sequence.

 
At September 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

and yes, gable is king, cary grant is the epitome of suave, and gene kelly is so fine (doo lang, doo lang, doo lang)

 
At September 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i don't know if i'd go so far as to say thumbs up. but jimmy stewart was the one redeeming factor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home