Saturday, August 18, 2007

The "Master and Commander" Story, or, What to Give Enrique for His Birthday

It is a well established rule that one shouldn't buy anything for oneself in the weeks immediately prior to one's birthday. Especially if one has a wife who tends to shop early because she finds things on sale. And if one has been married to said wife for many years, one should be quite familiar with the rules.
A couple of years ago, Enrique decided to sign up for a DVD club. He decided to do this about a week before his birthday and the movies he chose for the 4 free promotion were all ones he wanted (and how hard would it have been to say, "I'm getting these two - would you like West Side Story and You've Got Mail?). Did he tell me what movies he was getting before he ordered them? No. But later, he rattled off his testosterone-filled list. One of his choices was Master and Commander, which he had already told me he wanted and so I had already bought it for his birthday.
I don't really remember why I didn't return it - probably because I didn't have a gift receipt :) - but there was some reason I couldn't. Therefore he ended up with two copies of Master and Commander and a wife who wouldn't let it go (and who got her sister and best friend in on it, too). I really wanted to keep wrapping the same movie and have everybody give it to him for Christmas. I didn't, but we still give him a hard time about it.
Oh, and the same year I found a great Christmas gift for my dad (who's impossible to shop for), and then he went out and bought it for himself, too. Grr! There's a reason there are rules!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At August 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

i thought someone else got him for it that year, too. chef uncle wanted to get it for him for Christmas this last year. i told him not to.

 
At August 18, 2007 at 9:53 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

i think you're right about someone else getting it for him, too.
i thought there was more to the story. thank you!

 
At August 19, 2007 at 1:24 AM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Remember how I offered to ship one to him for Christmas that year? Wasn't that thoughtful of me to offer? I just knew he'd love that movie so much:P

 
At August 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

Hey...I think I just figured out why they always send movies that you don't want to own. Its due to Enriques original picks! They think that is what you want them to send:P

 
At August 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

really? is that how that works? i've wondered why the pick of the month is never a girl movie.

 
At August 19, 2007 at 7:57 PM , Blogger BusyMommy said...

They are not aware that your house is mostly estrogen. Personal theory.

 
At August 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM , Blogger chelleybutton said...

Re: not getting the rules... I think boys are just dumb. ;)

 
At August 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

that seems to be a recurring theme lately...

 
At August 20, 2007 at 2:36 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

oh, and yes, father is impossible to shop for

 
At August 20, 2007 at 9:55 PM , Blogger hobbitsister said...

although we scored with the paper shredder (pats self on back)

 
At August 23, 2007 at 2:09 PM , Blogger melilotnfosco said...

even if it did take him a year to open it

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home