How Did This Happen?
I grew up a sports orphan. My dad typically played on 3 softball teams a year - I remember 4 one year. He'd play or coach basketball, play touch football with his friends. Not that this was all bad - his friends/teammates had kids our age, so we'd go to the games and play with the other kids. Seasons at my parents' house are not summer/fall/winter/spring. They're baseball/football/basketball - with golf and hockey thrown in, too. My mom refuses to get cable, even though the reception on their tv is horrible, because Dad watches sports enough as it is. If he had ESPN and the golf channel, she'd never see him. Think I'm esaggerating? We'd occasionally get to skip school in order to go to my uncle's college football games. And the only reason we finally got to go to Disney World was because my dad had a softball tournament in Alabama.
So that's how I grew up. And that's why I was determined to not marry a jock. Enrique played a couple seasons of church softball (1 team only). He played baseball in high school, and undoubtably would have made the majors if he hadn't broken his finger (that's what he tells me, and I loyally believe him). Once in a great, great while, he'll watch a football or baseball game, but he doesn't really care.
So how is it that my girls have become baseball fanatics? They're each going to 4 (four!) Twins games this year. They just left here in Mauer shirts, waving their foam fingers and carrying signs. They watch as many games as they can on tv, memorizing batting orders, analyzing which pitcher is the best, telling me who's most likely to steal a base. Are these my children? Where did they come from?
Labels: family, Minnesota Twins
7 Comments:
that's always a good answer :)
That's what I thought. ;)
i blame joe mauer. if he wasn't such a hottie, they wouldn't care.
(speaking of which - teach erma to use your scanner so she can send me that pic of his eyes. and the pic of cuddyer of course!) :)
yeah... mel's fault. ;)
was there ever any doubt?
nu-uh!
i mean nu-uh it's not my fault, not nu-uh there was no doubt
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home