Family Barbecue
We're going to my sister-in-law's for dinner on Saturday. Being the polite people we are, we offered to bring something. You know what she asked me to bring? A pan of Rice Krispie Bars (Busy and Didder are laughing, aren't you?). I have no doubt SIL was thinking, "Hobbitsister can't cook (which isn't an insult because it's absolutely true - Christmas at her house is a huge fancy sit-down dinner; Christmas at my house is ham sandwiches), so I'll have her do the easiest thing I can think of."
So I have to bring a pan (not little blue packages) of Rice Krispie Bars.
She could have said cake, or brownies, or lemon bars, or poppyseed bread. But no - she said the one thing in the world that I absolutely cannot make.
I tried a few years ago. "Hey, Erma, do you want to help me make Rice Krispie Bars?"
Erma: Make Rice Krispie Bars?

Me: Yes, do you want to help?
Erma: What do you mean make?
Me: You know, make - mix them up, in a pan, on the stove...
Erma (incredulously): You know how to make them?
She had always thought that Rice Krispie Bars came in a box, and now Mom had somehow acquired the top-secret recipe - like making Oreos.
So we made them, and (thankfully) for the first time in my life they actually turned out. The next time I tried them, it was again a failure, and I haven't tried them since.
And now I have to make them for Saturday. Do you think SIL would know if I just unwrapped all the blue packages and crammed them into a pan?
Labels: Erma says, why I don't cook
14 Comments:
Go for it! (the unwrapping part)
hehe, that is a good idea :) ... i guess you could try making them one more time (since you were successful that one time), and if it doesn't work, at least you have a great back-up plan!
and i do need a great back-up plan...
have erma make them. hers are really good!
haha! (and it might keep her from the mall momentarily;)
erma won't be home (and yes, she offered)
and good idea about the mall, chell
are those rice krispie treats in the pic yours?! nicely done!! :)
um, no - i'm afraid not
aww :))
they turned out!
(confession: enrique helped make them - that may have had something to do with it)
yay! (and reason your husband is the greatest #622??) ...i wish i could've tried one, mmmm...
the young people ate them all - so i guess that's a good sign
yay for eating!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home