Driving 101
Erma has been bugging us for at least a year to let her get behind the wheel. Last night the two of us found ourselves in an empty parking lot so, against my better judgement, I decided to let
her give it a try (it's private property, so it's legal). After instructing her on the basics, such as which pedal is which, I said she could go ahead. She very slowly put the van into Drive, then even more slowly took her feet (yes, both of them) off of the brake. We cruised along at about 1 mph for 10 feet or so, when she saw another car at the other end of the parking lot (about 2 blocks away). She screamed, "THERE'S ANOTHER CAR!!!!" and bolted into the back seat. I have never before seen her move so fast. Meanwhile, the van was still in Drive, and I had to reach over from the passenger side to step on the brake and put it into Park.Note to self: Maybe she's not quite ready.
Labels: Erma
8 Comments:
that's awesome! You'll have to remember that for when she gets married!
That's close to how I reacted when my mom first taught me. It was in a mall parking lot, and yeah, I COMPLETELY avoided other cars at first, even though we were both going really slow.
'member when scout first said 'note to self'?
where'd that come from, mel? did the 2 events coincide?
i think i've forgotten that, but now it's sounding vaguely familiar. what did she say?
i don't remember. but you said 'note to self' and it made think of a cute little 7 year old saying it.
Ohh... (light comes on;)
my best guess is she probably said, "note to self: erma is annoying"
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home