Boring Nowhere - Side Note
In all fairness, I do remember vacations to Boring Nowhere with my parents, too.
Labels: parenthood, vacation
Here's my disclaimer: If any of these pictures are copyrighted, please let me know and I'll remove them immediately.
In all fairness, I do remember vacations to Boring Nowhere with my parents, too.
Labels: parenthood, vacation
59 Comments:
me too, and i understand now that EVERY vacation can't be to Disneyland (too bad...)
they would be if my kids had anything to say about it :)
i don't remember them being that bad. there were times during the trips, but not the trips themselves. i just remember battlefield after battlefield. but i have such an overactive imagination, that i didn't even notice that they were boring. i was too busy being a nurse on the field, or a geogia peach visiting her lover's grave, or a yankee girl torn because her rebel love had killed her yankee brother, or a young newly widowed mother who then falls in love with her late husband's commander, or...
(rolling eyes;)
why do all of you keep rolling your eyes at me? you're such meanie-heads.
you're just silly, that's all ;)
but i like silliness or i wouldn't like you and comment on your blog and dedicate my own to you! (silly;)
You visited battlefields for your vacations? I think that makes my Dad's incecent need to see mountains as fast as possible sound a little better!
it really wasn't that bad. that meant that i got to see tennessee, virginia, north carolina, georgia, alabama, and kentucky. (and that is so the area i would live in if it didn't get to be over 100 degrees. farhenheit that is. although i wouldn't want to live anywhere that got over 100 celcius either!)
yeah, those states are definitely not "boring nowhere" ...although it would be fun to do some other things too while you were there (in addition to battlefields:)
i remember battlefields in tennessee, missouri, and arkansas. the worst for me, though, was lake country minnesota (not to be confused with the lake superior area, which is the most beautiful place in the world)
my parents thought maybe they were overdoing the historical site thing when my brother and i started going through jcpenneys saying, "this is the quilt ma made...this is the plate laura used..."
(of course, that didn't stop them for long)
haha, sad... ;)
it's actually jcpenney
whatever
let's start correcting melilot all the time too ;)
i do :)
oh :)
oh, didder, we forgot to mention that we went to the dump for our vacations
oh! we did! the highlight of the week was when dad would say, "put on your pj's, get in the car" and we'd drive to the dump. yay! and on the way we'd sing (to the tune of 'william tell overture') "to the dump, to the dump, to the dump, dump, dump..."
um, maybe i'm missing something, but why would you go to the dump??
why wouldn't you?
ok - i'll tell. back in the day, before the environmentalists decided this wasn't good for the planet, the dumps in northern minnesota were these big open spaces near the woods. at dusk, bears would come and dig through the garbage. we'd go and sit in the car and watch the bears. sometimes they'd come right up to the window.
well, it was free entertainment anyway...
!! (yikes!)
Where are your dumps now? We would go do that too- esp. when we lived in Thompson because there are tons of black bears around. Very fun! (Although, it was not with my family usually, just with friends) And at camp, doing a dump run was very fun because you got to go offsite for a while in a very rickity old truck and then you could go look at all the fun things that people throw away, and sometime even help in the destruction process!
i feel so deprived...
you should :)
they're now called 'sanitary landfills' and i think they cover up all the garbage. bummer. life was better when there was garbage all around.
Oh that is sad. We still have "dumps" and, at least in smaller areas, they're still uncovered. There was a big fire the day of our wedding at the dump which was only a dry and dusty field away from the church so there was tons of smoke and firetrucks and the possibility of being evacuatated because the winds were so strong!
that's good luck, right? ;)
it was super windy that day
Yup, really super windy. What a crazy day!
i think the girls and i went to the forks that day
and i have no idea where i was, b/c i didn't know you then! (well, still haven't met you, i guess;)
:)
yup we definitely need to meet! It's funny because I'm such a bad friend that I haven't called Mel for our Ploop date yet and so I haven't even gotten to ask her what your real name is! Oh the crazy lives we lead! You girls should come out again and this time I won't go get married and miss all the fun!
you did miss all the fun. i enjoyed hanging out with your friends. and it's okay about the plopp date. it just means i'm looking forward to it more! :)
sorry, but what's a ploop or plopp date?
Ploop is a very yummy chocolate bar that Mel and I discovered when at Holsby and it made walks into the countryside even more lovely then they would be otherwise. My brother-in-law was just at Holsby and he sent me back some Ploop and I sent one to Mel so that we could eat Ploop together and talk on the phone. Mine has expired already- that's how long I haven't called Mel! (Sorry!) It never seems like I have enough time to do an adequate (sp?) job for a Ploop date, but I think it will just have to be several quick phone calls!
mmm, i love chocolate desserts... especially when they have kind of a harry potter-ish name, hehe :D
hey, is this a record number of comments for one post or what?? and the post is titled "side note," haha! :) AND it was without busymommy -- think what we could accomplish if she were here commenting too! (hint-hint, busymommy!)
except that it's called plopp :)
oh - and i think you're right chelley, this just might be a record number of posts
Oh right, Plopp- whoops!
it still sounds kind of harry potter-ish :)
should we try to reach 50 comments?
definitely! (although it does seem silly since hobbitsister isn't even here!)
but she'll be so excited when she comes back :)
(and she'll have a lot of catching up to do!)
she'll have to do like 10 posts! and respond to ALL of our comments ;)
i just came back and saw 48 comments - wow! you girls have been busy!
50!!!!!!!!!
way to go, kimberly! you get a point!
Whooo hooo!!!
hehe :)
it might even be a record number of comments for blogspot-ters in general! ;)
we're such dorks :D
Just want to be a part of the fun, no matter how delayed... so now i have to respond to everything (maybe including some from the original post) in one comment or else the number-to-beat gets too high for melilot's blog. :-)
First of all, here is proof of my ignorance. I didn't know Iowa areas is called the "heartland"!!! So THAT's why it's called "heartland AEA"!!! hehehe that makes my day...
Secondly, I don't think melilot's imagination is at all silly -- I wish I had one like that! It reminds me of Anne of Green Gables, and everybody loved her (except those jealous types).
Thirdly, I don't think I would've ever ever thought to visit battlefields on vacations or road trips. Maybe it's because I'm from China that I'd never thought about American history.
Fourthly, I'll bet you caught that comment and thought i'd either lied to you this whole time, or i'm off my rocker to say i'm from China. LoL just wanted to add a little spice to this to see who responds/comments later...
Fifthly, I remember that commerical way back in the day, where 9 kids stood side to side holding the letters for "JCPenneys" and the very last one drops the s and says, "Oops! I dropped the S!" hehe so yup, they are now just JC Penney.
Sixthly, as surprised as I was to learn that battlefields in TN, KY, GA, etc. were considered vacation destinations (versus places like NY City or San Francisco), I was NOT expecting to see that dumps were exciting places to go!!!!! Such a neat cultural lesson I'm getting from simply eavesdropping this conversation. ^_^
Seventhly, if you're at all curious about my family road trips, when I lived in Tampa, FL, my family 'vacationed' to Ft Lauderdale at the southern tip of FL, where my grandma and extended family lived. It was only a 4 hours drive, but my brother and i didn't make it enjoyable for my parents. And then when we moved to Chicago, we had two typical roadtrip vacation spots. One was the 2-day drive back down to Ft Lauderdale, usually for Christmas. The other was up northward to Toronto for their good Chinese food and shopping. Well, all my brothers and dad and I cared about was the good food. My mom enjoyed the shopping. Hm. Come to think of it, can these be considered "boring nowhere"s? We never roadtripped anywhere else, I don't think :( That does make me feel sad and deprived. Maybe that's why i feel such a need to travel now.
Eighthly, where can I get my hands on a Plopp just to try it?? I found this http://candyaddict.com/blog/2006/04/10/plopp-gooey-brown-and-tasty/ but it doesn't say where I can get one. Otherwise, I know it's Swedish...
Ninthly, I wonder if this one comment holds the record for longest comment?
Tenthly, this point was made mainly to round out the number of points in this comment.
autosmiler, I haven't read your comment yet, but you so could've made it several comments to make the total number bigger (let's all keep this in mind as we try to outdo ourselves next time;)
K, I read it. You crack me up, autosmiler. :) You were deprived! You'll have to go on some battlefield and dump (hehe, I almost wrote "dumb" -- Freudian slip?;) vacations with mel (I'd go too if it were in the summer, hint hint;). It was nice to read your comment (yes, I'm sure it holds the record for being the longest -- perhaps photoqueen holds the record for 2nd place when she talked about her baby shower woes;), because it reminded me of all the little discussions we had (memories...:). And I'm very impressed that you remember an old commercial that I don't remember, btw. :)
You're from China?! I never knew that!!!
i love your comment, autoemlinda!
to your second point - why thank you! i'm flattered!
as to the fifth - i don't remember that commercial
and as to the eighth - if i knew, i would be the fattest person on earth, but as it is, i'm not :(
and i greatly enjoy point ten :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home